Search This Blog

Tuesday 11 August 2015

CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD POSTER aka GATES OF HELL 1980

One of my favourites ( the poster that is rather than the movie)-- there's just so much that I love about this piece of movie advertisement, its does it job beautifully completely  reeling me in,  the lettering CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD uses a sexy crumbling font and it's brash yellowness lifts it forth off the darker hues,  as soon as that yellow lettering hooks your eye it drags you into the night fog wrapped graveyard... just at the moment the dead begin to rise.
This poster delivers, with its bold directness seems not the least bit apologetic that its nasty zombie time.
I had this hanging over my bed, the last thing I's see at night and the first when I got up.  Oh the dark mouldy tones, oh the coarse brush marks, -it all works so wonderfully  you can almost smell the damp grave soil ( oh was that just my bedroom odor?)  every inch seems as if it been designed to be functional in sharing the horror, love the mystery of those lurching  background zombies and look at the way the lurid blood flows from those yellow and orange tinged eyes. Yellow and orange eyes? Erm, maybe thats what happens to your eyes once you have seen  this planets rectum!

Which  of course brings me to that amazing tag line....

                     
                     ......  from the bowels of the earth they came....to collect the living!

No comments:

Post a Comment